Learning Community: Postpartum Care for NC Parents
Join us! The 4th Trimester Project team at UNC-Chapel Hill has support from the HRSA-funded NC Maternal Health Innovation Initiative to collaborate with North Carolina clinics to improve care for postpartum people and their families. We also hope to build a new community of thought leaders and early adopters in improving the postpartum care experience!
We hold monthly learning collaborative meetings that are open to all people in North Carolina who are interested in improving postpartum care and services. These 1-hour virtual meetings will focus on different topics with opportunities for participants to ask questions and share what is working for them. Guest speakers will be arranged to speak to topics of interest.
2023 Community of Practice:
Understanding the Trauma of Perinatal Loss for Patients and Providers with Dr. Ashley Johnson, Duke – this session took place June 22nd, 2023.
Be sure you’re subscribed for upcoming events and Community of Practice dates.
Receiving Nursing Contact Hours:
Thank you for attending the session with Dr. Johnson. To receive the 1-contact hour, please email Rachel Yip, 4th Trimester Project UNC Research Associate, for access to the Thinkific webinar evaluation link. Upon opening the link, you will be prompted to create a free Thinkific account/sign-in in the upper right-hand corner. From there, please enroll in the course and complete the quick evaluation. Your contact hour certificate will generate when completed. To get started and ask questions, email Rachel_Yip@med.unc.edu. Of note: Contact Hours are only available for those that attended the live session and must be claimed by June 30, 2023.
These meetings are recorded. By joining, you agree to our recording and events form. Submit topic ideas or questions in advance for future CoP events. For more information about presenting, this series, or accessing the event, email SuzanneW@med.unc.edu.
Past Events / Recordings Available:
- Best Practices with the 4th Trimester Heart Health with Dr. Jo Quist-Nelson, UNC, recorded on May 25th, 2023.
- Lessons Learned from Psychological Trauma on Birthing Families During and Post-COVID with Dr. Kallie Drexler, UNC, recorded April 27th, 2023
- IMPLICIT Network Updates in NC with Dr. Narges Farahi, UNC Family Medicine, recorded March 23rd, 2023
- Best Practices in Supporting Postpartum Families Around Substance-Use with UNC Horizons, recorded February 23rd, 2023
- Lactation Support and Education with Kathy Parry and Catherine Sullivan, Ready Set Baby, recorded January 26, 2023
- Postpartum Support Groups / Strategies and Supporting the ‘Village,’ Ste’Keira Shepperson, Triangle Doulas of Color, recorded Dec 15, 2022
- Dignity Bill, Postpartum and Incarcerated Women’s Health, Erin McClain, MA, MPH, UNC CMIH, recorded Nov 17, 2022
- October 27th, 12 pm ET – Birthing Parent Accounts of Postpartum Acute Care Utilization: Lessons learned for strengthening the system of care, presented by Clara Busse, UNC (not recorded)
- Connecting Spanish Communities in NC Postpartum Care with CityGate Dream Center, CityGate Dream Center, recorded Aug 25, 2022
- Medicaid and Postpartum Policies, Tina Sherman, Senior Campaign Director for the Maternal Justice Campaign at MomsRising and Velma Villalon Taormina, M.D., M.S.E., Women’s Health Consultant
- North Carolina Postpartum Care Innovative Clinical Practices, Walidah Karim-Rhoades, Cone Health and Dr. Kelley Massengale, NC Diaper Bank
- Postpartum Visit Tools & Access, Dr. Patricia D. Suplee PhD, RNC-OB, FAAN, Director of Professional Education and Research at the Central Jersey Family Health Consortium
- Foundational Concepts in Inclusive Perinatal Care for 2SLGBTQI+ Communities, Bryna Sampley, Doula My Soul
- Transitions of Care & ACOG AIM Postpartum Discharge Bundle, Dr. Linda Havey
- Citations: AIM Discharge Bundle Resources
View the “Charting the Course” Meeting Summary here and graphic illustrations:
- Objective: Finding our North Star
- Objective: Establish our Measures
- Objective: Setting the Course
- Objective: Moving Foward
This event was held December 3, 2021, to unite maternal health professionals in NC and establish a course for changing postpartum care in NC.
Learn more about NC MHI work, partners, and view the postpartum toolkit here.